Re: Re: [OT] Fixing an application to use a specific network adaptor

Sorry all, looks like I didn't explain this one very well.

I have two possible routes to connect to the network and then the
internet, one runs through a proxy server, one doesn't.  The proxy
server blocks everything apart from http and access to our exchange
server.  I can connect through the proxy server using a wired or
wireless connection.  The non-proxy server is a wired connection only.

I use firefox for personal email, plus occasional vnc sessions, so
prefer to be connected to the internet without a proxy to get this to
function.  (All this is allowed)

However, I need to be able to use Outlook and print to our network
printers, which means I must be connected to the network connection
through the proxy server connection.

What I would like to be able to do, is have Outlook and printers work
through the proxy server connection, and everything else work through
the non-proxy server connection.  As I have two separate network
connections, I have two IP addresses, so is there a way of telling an
application to use a specific IP address on the machine?

Hope this makes more sense,

Simon

Sullivan, Glenn wrote:

> The easiest first solution, in most cases, is to put a default gateway
> in on the adapter that you want to be "Default" and not on
the other
> one.  Then the other one will only be used for local (to that network)
> traffic...
>
> Of course, that is assuming that they are actually two different
> networks, and not two connections to the same network...
>

> Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
> David Clark Company Inc.

2 different networks