Re: Re: [OT] Fixing an application to use a specific network adaptor

On Mon, 08 May 2006 13:58:58 +0100, you wrote:

>Sorry all, looks like I didn't explain this one very well.
>
>I have two possible routes to connect to the network and then the
>internet, one runs through a proxy server, one doesn't.  The proxy
>server blocks everything apart from http and access to our exchange
>server.  I can connect through the proxy server using a wired or
>wireless connection.  The non-proxy server is a wired connection only.
>
>I use firefox for personal email, plus occasional vnc sessions, so
>prefer to be connected to the internet without a proxy to get this to
>function.  (All this is allowed)
>
>However, I need to be able to use Outlook and print to our network
>printers, which means I must be connected to the network connection
>through the proxy server connection.
>
>What I would like to be able to do, is have Outlook and printers work
>through the proxy server connection, and everything else work through
>the non-proxy server connection.  As I have two separate network
>connections, I have two IP addresses, so is there a way of telling an
>application to use a specific IP address on the machine?
>
>Hope this makes more sense,

The big question is about those two IP addresses - are they on
different *networks*.   If you aren't sure what I mean by that then
you will have to provide info on the IP addresses used, and the
netmasks.

Having two routes to destinations is usualy a recipe for problems
if they are on the same network - often the only thing that makes it
stable is the metric.

You should be able to do what you want by using separate networks,
and possibly removing the default route and adding specific routes.
If I understand correctly you use the proxy to get to 'private'
devices, and avoid the proxy to get to 'public' devices.  If you need
exact directions on how to do this we will need more info.

BTW - what version of Windows?  It makes a difference - it is much
easier to preload a route in WinXP than say Win98.

Regards,
Harry.