Re: Re: [OT] using a neighbours wireless AP - security

On 09/03/2006 at 13:24 stylishautomation wrote:

>I guess your friend is lucky - I trim my wireless access point to
>only accept certain MAC addresses and his neighbour could introduce

That wont provide any real protection at all, spoofing you MAC addresss is
pretty
easy, and finding one in your list is even simpler.

>WEP or WPA encrytion which will stop him accessing the network.

WEP is worth very little - it's a waste of time and effort, unless you want
make sure that people don't connect to your network BY ACCIDENT. WPA

Take a listen to the securitynow podcasts - for you in particular Episode
11
for Paul and his friend both Episode 10 and 11... they can all be found
here :  http://tinyurl.com/cjwqg

Andy