RE: Re: Show report

Hi Paul

=20

It=92s good to know you stopped by and hope Dave or Mervyn (it would have
b=
een
one or the other who spoke with you) did not get too carried away!!!

=20

You are right about not needing many of the additional aspects of
Hometroni=
as your lighting is far more sophisticated than the Honeywell offering. The
only thing Hometronic could offer just now (without going to the fully
zone=
system using the radiator TRV actuators) would be simple single zone
heatin=
control with volt-free interfaces to Comfort/CBus to allow one or the other
to provide the remote access. This would provide the link to activate the
=93Coming Home=94 Lifestyle and switch on the heating before you get there.
Don=92t overlook the setback issue =96 it=92s mainly used for
frost/condens=
ation
protection when you are away from the house so can be vital if you are away
for more than a day or two during very cold weather. In this case the
setback temperature is around 10 degrees. I=92ve had a customer in
Invernes=
install a fully zoned system and uses a simple volt free interface module
t=
connect to Homevision so he can use the HV web browser as his remote access
and use it to switch Hometronic into =93away=94 mode automatically when the
alarm system is fully set. He then uses the web interface to select a
numbe=
of different modes before he gets home.

=20

So you can use the system to provide single zone control using a relay
module and wireless room sensor in combination with the Hometronic Manager
and have remote access from other systems using the Hometronic Input module
to receive volt-free signals. It=92s technically possible but the costs
probably don=92t stack up. Hardware for such a setup would cost =A3750
plus=
VAT
at full retail, plus commissioning. That said there is no reason why you
should not ask for a discount or even the possibility of a potential bulk
buy ;-) Then again it would be quite easy to set up most of this
functionality via Comfort (as Gareth was looking to do) or CBus at a
fraction of this cost and in a way that is easy to put back to normal when
you move.

=20

The Hometronic installation is a doddle. Any competent person could install
and wire the system, it=92s mainly wireless after all. If you use the
radia=
tor
motorised TRV actuators for zoning then there is no need for any additional
plumbing providing your radiators already have suitable valves. Accessing
the boiler terminals in most cases does not require the boiler casing to be
removed, there is usually a hidden screw or two that then drops a panel at
the front of the boiler. We often modify the simple wiring drawings to show
the precise terminals to wire to as long as we can find the info on the web
or from the boiler manufacturer. Commissioning is not difficult, mainly
pus=
button binding of modules. But as the system has so many different
applications the combination of button pushing, configuration of the
limite=
number of parameters etc means it is quite easy to make the same hardware
d=
very different things. We could try and produce a training course to cover
all of these applications but we would probably end up needing to charge
more for the training than it would cost for the commissioning of most
systems. That=92s why we offer to let customers be as active in the
commissioning as they wish to be. It becomes a sort of unofficial training
course based on your own installation for those that want it and means that
any future system expansion does not require us to visit/charge again as
yo=
would have a good idea of what needs to be done and we can easily support
the process remotely by phone or email.

=20

Glad you found the kit interesting and I=92ll keep my fingers crossed that
=
the
Olympic effect has the results you are looking for :-)

=20

Regards

=20

Neil B.