Re: Networks points, tv points, speaker points - how much?

I whole heartedly agree with Simon, conduit is the most flexible
solution :=
-)

I ran 2x speaker, 2x CT100 coax and min 2x Cat5 to the corner of each
room. In the lounge I ran 3x coax to most points. Some rooms are also
cabled for ceiling speakers. All wall cabling was buried in 25x16mm
mini-trunking then plastered over. Most corners needed 2x trunking
runs to accomodate the amount of cable.

At the top of the run for downstairs rooms (i.e. in the ceiling void)
I have full access so any cable replacement is simply pulling through
a new run down a straight length.

Bear in mind that Sky+ requires 2x coax feeds from the LNB so leaves
you none free if you think you might use the RF2 output for a 2nd
telly and also no option for a terrestrial aerial, FM aerial etc.

Costs? budget about:
* =A350 per 100m for half-decent speaker cable
* =A350 per 100m for CT100 coax
* =A335 per 305m for Cat5e

Prices are ex. VAT and assume your fitter doesn't mark them up etc.

The trunking was from www.tlc-direct.co.uk and came in 3m lengths. I
can't remember the price but you'll be able to look it up :-)

Back boxes/patresses? Allow =A31 each.
Faceplates? Depends on how fancy you want to get. I've made my own
custom ones by drilling blank faceplates and fitting connectors to
suit. Modular faceplates seem the most flexible but can look a little
office-like. See
http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=3DWalloutlets&;
for some other
options

Installation costs would be down to the individual fitter, but to do
the whole house at 1st fix stage would probably take a couple of days
for 2 people, so =A3500?
It took me 10 days in fits & starts for my retrofit and I'm still not
finis=
hed.

HTH,

Tim.

On 6/9/06, Simon McCaughey <simonmcc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Conduit. Loads of it, and make it accessible, so you can push/pull
> through it later on. Putting in conduit is cheap
>
> Behind my tv:
> http://ccso.co.uk/sb/images/viewer/christmas_5.jpg.50.html
>
> The tracks in the left of the picture are for routing cables from my 2
> floor roofspace into my 1 floor roofspace.
> http://ccso.co.uk/sb/images/viewer/christmas_8.jpg.100.html
>
> Put plenty in, you can fill it with cable later!
>
> Simon
>
> On 09/06/06, ByronSP <home_auto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am getting a new build done, and wanting to ensure that my
house is
> > well cabled so have been reading here to gain some knowledge.
Does