Latest message you have seen: Popcorn hour?

Re: Squeezebox - FLAC and WMA support

On 11 Jan 2006, at 16:55, Bricknell, Tony wrote:

> Hoping someone here with a Squeezebox can answer my
"pre-sales" :-)
> queries...
>
> Looking to rip my audio CD collection for playing both in the home
> and the car.  For home, I need integration with MCE and Squeezebox
> support using a lossless format.  For the car, unfortunately the
> only option available seems to be an iPod, and I don't mind going
> lossy.
>
> Lossless, with MCE integration and Squeezebox support, my choices
> are FLAC or WMAlossless.  And using dBPowerAMP, both can be
> transcoded on-the-fly during transfer to the iPod into something
> more Apple-friendly.
>
> Anyone here using FLAC for their CD library?  Did you rip to a
> single large file per CD (presumably with cue sheet) or individual
> files?  If a single large file, are you still able to play
> individual songs on the Squeezebox?  How does it handle track pre-
> gaps?  If individual files, do you get a gap/glitch between tracks
> of an album where the music continues over the track transition
> (such as 'live' albums)?
>
> As for WMAlossless, I can't find any options to rip to a single
> file per CD, but with individual files WMP seamlessly runs from one
> track to the next with no discernable gap.  But does the Squeezebox?
>
> Many TIA,
> Tony

Although I have a Squeezebox 3, I'm unable to answer your question.
What I can advice is to download the slimserver software and install
it on your server of choice.  It works perfectly fine without any
player attached, but if you want to, you can use a 'soft' player
which will work like the real thing.

HTH,

Q.