Latest message you have seen: RE: Photos of Home Automation

Squeezebox - FLAC and WMA support

Hoping someone here with a Squeezebox can answer my "pre-sales"
:-) queries...

Looking to rip my audio CD collection for playing both in the home and the
car.  For home, I need integration with MCE and Squeezebox support using a
lossless format.  For the car, unfortunately the only option available
seems to be an iPod, and I don't mind going lossy.

Lossless, with MCE integration and Squeezebox support, my choices are FLAC
or WMAlossless.  And using dBPowerAMP, both can be transcoded on-the-fly
during transfer to the iPod into something more Apple-friendly.

Anyone here using FLAC for their CD library?  Did you rip to a single large
file per CD (presumably with cue sheet) or individual files?  If a single
large file, are you still able to play individual songs on the Squeezebox?
How does it handle track pre-gaps?  If individual files, do you get a
gap/glitch between tracks of an album where the music continues over the
track transition (such as 'live' albums)?

As for WMAlossless, I can't find any options to rip to a single file per
CD, but with individual files WMP seamlessly runs from one track to the
next with no discernable gap.  But does the Squeezebox?

Many TIA,
Tony