Re: Re: SWMBO caught me off guard!

On 1/6/06, James Hoye <yahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Jamie Bennett wrote:

content

> >> Is this right? The last I heard about the Sky HD service/kit
was that
> the
> >> boxes were having to incorporate component connections so as
to still
> feed
> >> HD signal to non HDCP compliant screens. I could be wrong of
course.

> > The first Sky+ HD boxes will have component which was a decision
made
> > by Sky as they felt DVI and HDMI connections aren't as
main-stream as
> > they would of liked at this stage. This will quickly be phased
out and
> > the word is that at some point they will turn off support for
their
> > broadcasts through component but this is just a rumour at the
moment.

> Wasn't there also an issue some time ago whereby they were selling a
> "future-proof HD ready" plasma screen package that, erm,
didn't have
> HDCP?  Oops!

The problem is that no-one has really come up with the definitive spec for
what HD really is, its open to interpretation. Some panels that claim HD
Ready but only display 852 x 480 get away with it as they have HDCP on a
component or HDMI connection and scale the HD image down. Worse still there
are panels that just scale HD feeds and don't do HDCP and also make the
claim. This is misleading in my book. True HD panels must have at least 720
horizontal lines to display 720p (to-be the most common broadcasted feed)
and the better panels do 1080p although these are expensive at the moment.
Interestingly most recordings are done in 1080p and scaled down to 720p to
be broadcast (in the USA).

> James

Jamie