Re: Re: SWMBO caught me off guard!

Wednesday, January 4, 2006, 12:55:31 PM, Chris wrote:

CW> The problem with LCD and Plasma screens is the image quality and
CW> reaction speed.

CW> We have just bought a Samsung LE32R41BD which is mesmerising
CW> (spelling?) but I have put up a new High Gain freeview aerial to
CW> counter some of the poor image quality issues.

CW> The problem is that plasmas and lcds are actually so good that they
do
CW> show any minor imperfections in the signal, where as the old CRT
CW> system is more tolerent (read less sharp) and therefore show less of
CW> the imperfections that are there.

Sorry, I think you're blaming the inadequacies of current LCD/plasma
systems onto CRT.

I have yet to see a Plasma or LCD system that is as good as a CRT
display. LCDs all seem to have a smeary quality about them which CRTs
do not have, and both LCDs and plasmas seem to emphasise the
shortcomings of low bitrate mpegs. Often the pictures look posterised
on LCD/plasma which I can only guess is due to some sort of problem to
do with the method of making on/off only displays give an illusion of
continuous tone.

Although most domestic CRT displays don't have as high a resolution as
the better panel displays, it is quite possible for CRTs to have high
resolution. You will find that vision control in reputable production
facilities is done on HR CRT displays, because they are the most
accurate form of monitoring available. Cheaper panel displays may well
be used in areas were there is not such a need for good quality.

This is not to say that flat panel displays won't equal CRTs at some
time, they may well get there in the not to distant future, but the
aren't there yet.

Bill