RE: SWMBO caught me off guard!

  • Subject: RE: SWMBO caught me off guard!
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:18:52 +0000

Hi,

Can't offer too much help but would add the same thing happened to me - was
walking past tv's in department store with wife and she got chatting to the
sales guy. 30 mins later we had a new panasonic 42'' plasma (nice). We got
it at a knock down price as it is not HD ready. As we won't really be
watching any serious HD content for a few years yet I figured I can get the
latest greatest when we need it.

Depends how techy anal you are I suppose.  Certainly an HD input will be
useful but it wasn't worth an extra £1400 for me.

Chris

>From: Wayne <Wayne@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] SWMBO caught me off guard!
>Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:38:48 +0000
>
>Hiyall, (I just realised that this is quite a long rattle - sorry :-) )
>
>Strolling round our local 'shops' the other day (ok currys and comet)
we
>happened to be walking past the tv's. 30+" sizes of pure plasma /
lcd
>delights. Being careful not to slip over in my own drool as we started
>to walk away 'she' came out with the classic 'plank in the face'
comment
>- 'do you want one?' closely followed by the 'I thought about getting
>you a new tv'. Being taken aback and rooted to the spot as she started
>to walk away, I cast an eye back over the selection, LG's, Sonys,
>Panasonic's etc. I also realised at that point that I have no idea what
>is good / not so good with these things.
>
>Its been about 15 years since I bought my trusty Toshiba 25" tv -
and
>its been running sweet since (although of recent the tube seems to
>'flicker' accompanied with some low humming from the speakers.) anyways
>to the point of this tale, is there anything that I should be watching
>out for in respect of a nice new big telly? ( and what sets the
bullshit
>'o meter ringing when having to listen to the sales spiel from the
>'assistance' )
>
>a few points that I'm looking for
>1/ I don't want/need to wall mount it, I have a suitably big stand that
>should take the weight of a plasma/lcd. This, I guess, would also
>discount those that /have/ to have their own floor stands.
>2/ At some point I would like to run a computer/xbox  through it as
well
>as the mixture of video and dvd players. I guess this is a standard
>feature, although it would be nice to have a 'standard' vga connector
as
>well.
>3/ I don't need something that has 'lots.1' sound processor in it -
>that's taken care of.
>4/ darkened viewing conditions will not be feasible - it will need to
>withstand daylight viewing.
>
>Things I'm not too sure about,
>1/ 'HD ready' vs plane old vanilla 'HD'. Is it that HD is already fully
>'compliant' vs 'ready' meaning I need to add some other box later?
>2/ There seems to be different 'standards' of  HD - I guess they all
use
>the same physical connection but - as with scart connections, you get
>various different video sources through different pinnings of lead.
Also