Re: SWMBO caught me off guard!

  • Subject: Re: SWMBO caught me off guard!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:45:37 -0000

have a look at www.avforums.com  the lcd and plasma sections there are
brilliant.

HD Ready in my understanding means that it will display HD pictures no
problem at all, nothing else is required, (apart from the right cable
of course!!)

My limited understanding tells me that big screens plasmas are
slightly cheaper, the forums rave about the Panasonic AV500 which is a
fantastic screen.  42" for about =A32049 Hifi confidential or get John
Lewis to price match them (what most people do) and get a free 5yr
warranty!!

That gives you hi def, vga etc etc  save a grand and buy a Panasonic
PE50 and you get something not HD ready (but still a fantastic
picture) and no VGA!!

lots of reading for you to do me thinks!

Good Luck

Noel

)
>=20
> Strolling round our local 'shops' the other day (ok currys and
comet) we=20
> happened to be walking past the tv's. 30+" sizes of pure plasma /
lcd=20
> delights. Being careful not to slip over in my own drool as we
started=20
> to walk away 'she' came out with the classic 'plank in the face'
comment=20
> - 'do you want one?' closely followed by the 'I thought about
getting=20
> you a new tv'. Being taken aback and rooted to the spot as she
started=20
> to walk away, I cast an eye back over the selection, LG's, Sonys,=20
> Panasonic's etc. I also realised at that point that I have no idea
what=20
> is good / not so good with these things.
>=20
> Its been about 15 years since I bought my trusty Toshiba 25" tv -
and=20
> its been running sweet since (although of recent the tube seems to=20
> 'flicker' accompanied with some low humming from the speakers.)
anyways=20
> to the point of this tale, is there anything that I should be
watching=20
> out for in respect of a nice new big telly? ( and what sets the
bullshit=20
> 'o meter ringing when having to listen to the sales spiel from the=20
> 'assistance' )
>=20
> a few points that I'm looking for
> 1/ I don't want/need to wall mount it, I have a suitably big stand
that=20
> should take the weight of a plasma/lcd. This, I guess, would also=20
> discount those that /have/ to have their own floor stands.
> 2/ At some point I would like to run a computer/xbox  through it as
well=20
> as the mixture of video and dvd players. I guess this is a standard=20
> feature, although it would be nice to have a 'standard' vga
connector as=20
> well.
> 3/ I don't need something that has 'lots.1' sound processor in it -=20
> that's taken care of.
> 4/ darkened viewing conditions will not be feasible - it will need
to=20
> withstand daylight viewing.
>=20
> Things I'm not too sure about,
> 1/ 'HD ready' vs plane old vanilla 'HD'. Is it that HD is already
fully=20
> 'compliant' vs 'ready' meaning I need to add some other box later?
> 2/ There seems to be different 'standards' of  HD - I guess they all
use=20
> the same physical connection but - as with scart connections, you
get=20
> various different video sources through different pinnings of lead.
Also=20