Re: [OT]: Haupagge mediampv thoughts anyone?

I don't know about the new MVPs, but I had a bunch of the old ones
(nabbed
from PC World when they were down to 19.99).

In my opinion, there are 2 main drawbacks of the MVP:

It's a "dumb" device, as I recall it uses a variant of the VNC
protocol to
show it's screens which are actually running on the server pc which
resulted
in slow menus.

It can only natively decode MPEG1 & 2 and MP3.  It can play other
formats by
doing realtime transcoding on the server pc, but this means you need a
reasonably beefy pc.  At the time I was using them (about 12 months ago) it
could only transcode one stream at a time, so you couldn't watch 2 DIVX
films for example in different rooms.

There were a lot of different software versions available for it though
from
the forums and I recall that there was also some possible integration with
MythTV and GBPVR.  Some of the other software may have offered a better
interface / faster response / supported more file formats, but ultimately I
think the hardware constraints are the limiting factor.

For me, they served as an interim solution while I waited for XBOXs to come
down in price and I eventually ditched the MVPs for chipped XBOXs and XBMC.
As others have said, at the price point nothing touches them for
functionality - mine have played everything I've thrown at it.

Martyn