Latest message you have seen: Re: Siemans Gigaset A510(H) handset?

Re: Compressing DVD ISO Images

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mal Lansell <mal@...> wrote:

> I haven't looked up the Terrastation specs, but is there any
> protection against disk failure (a la Raid 5)?  It would take an
> awfully long time to restore the contents of such a large drive
> - at least a PC with Raid5
> gives some protection against such an eventuality.

A Terastation is basically a Linux box running md, the Software RAID,
software which can provide either RAID-0, RAID-1, or RAID5.

The only benefits for me of a Terastation over building a PC to do the
same thing is the low power usage (a Mini-ITX PC might lower power
use), and the tidy physical size of it.

The benefits of doing it myself are that I can have it do exactly what
I want...