RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch

  • Subject: RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:20:23 -0000

Sounds about right Gareth. If you Google for the manufacturer and model
number of your timer/programmer you may find the install instructions for
the unit and you can then double check the wiring requirements for your
particular system. If you have 2 separate 2-port valves, 1 each for heating
and hot water then it should be pretty much as you describe. If it's a
"Y"
plan type system where there is a single 3-port valve that allows heating
only, hot water only or both then you will need to look at the mid-position
valve actuator wiring diagram as it is slightly different to what you
describe. If you are struggling to find any info then post a few more
details & I'll take a look at what I can find for you.

I'd recommend you leave the programmer in place and wire the new outputs in
parallel - when you are happy your CBus operations work correctly you can
then simply set the programmer to off. That way you can very quickly swap
between original and new controls for testing/fault finding (which is
crucial if you have temperatures anything like we have up here in Scotland
just now, -8 degrees overnight the last few nights brrrrrr!).

Neil B.

_____