RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch

  • Subject: RE: Replacing and automating the Central Heating switch
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:31:04 -0000

> Ian Lowe wrote this FAQ entry which may also be of interest.
> It's X10 based but the principles should be the same:
> http://tinyurl.com/au8jo

Be aware, I hit problems with that method, down to the trickle current that
flows through an X10 Appliance module for current sense.

That's not enough to turn the heating on all the time, but it *is* enough
cause some problems. The heating became twitchy over time and misbehaved a
bit - switching itself on and off at odd times, refusing to turn off
again...

You name it.

I seem to remember Phil mentioned that another type of appliance module
doesn't do current sensing, so wouldn't have the same problem - there's
also
supposed to be a mod to disable the current sense on a regular AM12 module.

For what it's worth, I don't do this any more - I now use a PIC based
circuit that I built using a couple of Crydom SSR modules.

Ian.