RE: Linx 8" photo frame - first thoughts

  • Subject: RE: Linx 8" photo frame - first thoughts
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:01:03 -0000

Oh, and forgot to add - the other feature it's lacking is a timed
on/off op=
eration although it does have a screensaver (why you'd want this I'm not
su=
re) and the ability to turn the display on/off from the remote while the
un=
it is still powered up.

Paul.

512Mb Kingst=
on
> MMC+ card) from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. Apparently no more stock now
> until after Christmas though but there may be a few suppliers left
with a
> few.
>=20
> I've already got a Philips 7" frame which oozes quality. This
isn't bad
> for the price and is a little bigger than the Philips. It's basically
> Chinese copy in terms of looks with a few extra features.
>=20
> The menus aren't as good though - took a while to figure them out
(again
> compared to Philips), although the Philips menus also took a bit of
> getting used to but they have more on screen help. Remote was MUCH
easier
> to use than the units buttons and have more functions available. I
> wouldn't bother using the unit's button - far too frustrating! My unit
> also had a dodgy 'down' button that would only work occasionally.
>=20
> The Philips frame is a lot quicker at loading the next picture and has
> user selectable transitions - this one only seems to have a wipe from
top
> (which could just be it displaying the picture as it reads it in).
>=20
> Picture quality is pretty good - slightly lighter and is a little
yellowe=
> (with default settings out of the box). You can alter brightness,
> contrast, hue etc unlike the Philips (IIRC). Skin tone on the Philips
was
> better and more natural. Screen size is wider than the Philips and the
> unit has a definite 'widescreen' feel to it.
>=20
> Video and MP3 playback is the big difference though - I was really
> surprised how well it handled my first MPG copied over to a MS Duo (in
> adapter). Full size video was smooth although a bit pixelated and
sound
> adequate although don't expect miracles from the small speakers
mounted i=
> the back of the unit but volume was good. Subsequent videos were very
hit
> and miss though - just copied over a random selection and some played,
> lot didn't. I'm sure this is down to CODEC and datarate etc though -
once
> you find the right combination, it looks quite promising. So far I've
got
> MPG's to play but no DivX .avi's although it's supposed to play them.
The
> manual didn't help much here and is pretty poor, written in pigeon
Englis=
> for the most part (OK, ok, so mine isn't much better!). More detail on
> screen res and optimising video for the display would have been nice.
>=20
> With video playback there's a time counter top left - looks like you
can'=
> turn this off which is a bit disappointing. I also had the unit stop
> responding properly a couple of times after trying video and it locked
up
> a few times in the middle of a video. Looks like it needs an update
but
> not sure if that's likely/possible...
>=20
> Overall, it's not bad for a present, but I think I'd pay the extra for
th=