RE: Xbox softmodding

As it happens, I'm going to have another go at a solderless modchip
install in this latest one anyway, since I still have an Executer 2.6
chip waiting to be used. I had successfully used it in an older Xbox
with a solderless adapter, but I couldn't get the adapter to keep a
reliable contact with the motherboard and it kept lifting off ever so
slightly, making the box revert to its non-modded state. I tried many
methods to get a more reliable connection, all of which failed
eventually, and the last of which (superglue!!) actually hosed it! -
superglue is obviously conductive, a fact which I was not previously
aware of...- learn something new every day...

However, I see there's now a newer version of the adapter available, and
it is suitable for use in 1.6's and it does look like it might be a
better product, so I'm going to give it a go. At least this time I know
what to look out for, what to try, and what *NOT* to try!

I still have another box (my parents one), which is also I believe a
1.6, which I want to do a pure softmod on. - don't want to risk damaging
it by any form of soldering on the motherboard. I will need to open it
up & do a HDD swap though, since they don't have any other NAS storage
that can be used to hold the media, so I need it to be self-contained
with all the kids DVD's stored on it. - I believe from what I've read
that softmodding does permit a HDD upgrade, - although it rather looks
like there's a whole bunch of faffing around to be done
locking/unlocking the drive etc...

Question: - are the drives locked to a specific Xbox? - I have a 250GB
drive that I had previously installed in that first box I installed my
X2.6 chip in... - it's all formatted & ready to go, could I put that in
any other Xbox (softmodded of course) & expect it to work, or will the
Xbox demand a specific drive uniquely locked to that individual box
only?

Paul G.

Of