Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

RE: Drive cages for media server...

  • Subject: RE: Drive cages for media server...
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:22:36 +0100

I went for the WD RE2 series drives (500Gb) - they're incredibly quiet
and =
got really good reviews. Currently using 5 of them - 4 in RAID 5 config
and=
a hot spare off of the 3Ware 9590SE SATA RAID controller (PCI-Express). Ma=
inboard is the brand new Supermicro PDSBA board supporting Core 2 Duo (I
ha=
ve the 1.86GHz in this server). Board has 4x PCI-Express (in 8x physical
sl=
ot) and x16 for graphics or other card) also has on-board VGA which I
wante=
d as it's a server. Cost me approx =A3110 + VAT IIRC for the m/b.

By careful if you do go for a PCI-X or PCI-Express RAID card as I had some
=
problems when I tried to fit it in a x16 PCI-e socket on a cheaper ASRock
c=
rossfire eSATA m/b (called AGI on that board). The system was unstable and
=
wouldn't reboot properly. Apparently some x16 PCI-e slots are really for
gr=
aphics and although they say they can also support other cards, that
certai=
nly wasn't my experience with this combo. Hence why I looked around for a
d=
edicated x4 PCI-e supporting m/b (which are quite rare it seems). The
super=
micro board was perfect and coming from a server product background made
se=
nse too.

One other thing - as I mentioned in my previous post - bear in mind that
th=
e cooling solution *may* be slightly different in the 3 vs 5 drive (2 vs 3
=
5 1/4 drive bay) backplane cages due to sizes - The chenbro ones I've used
=
have an 80mm fan on the 5 drive cage and the axial smaller fan on the 3
dri=
ve version. Both have high performance, hence noisy fans - I think only
the=
80mm fan can be replaced as I have done. But noise may not be important to=
you? I built all components with low noise in mind and also used the Zalma=
n aero flower CPU coolers - great performance and low noise.

Paul.

an=
> save on it. I'm planning to spend a bit of time hammering out the
details=
,
> then do it in October, probably with a budget of about =A31100.
>=20
> The plan has morphed since I started looking at it (as you would
expect) =
-
> at the moment, I'm thinking about using 8 of the SATA 3.0Gb drives
(the
> Western digital raid edition 320Gb ones are looking pretty darn good,
and
> that might turn into the 400Gb ones by October) with a PCI-e or PCI-x
RAI=
> card for the main storage area, probably using 1 drive for fault
> tolerance,
> and a second as a hot standby (so, 1.8Tb useable if I am using 320's).
>=20
> I'm planning to use the Cooler Master, with it's humungous eleven
front
> 5.25
> bays, with a "5 in 3" cage and a "3 in 2" cage
from the same range (looks
> like the supermicro ones) - lets me have all eight SATA drives in a
nice
> hot
> plug bay, one bay for a DVD, another two of the drive bays to host the
O/=
]