From: Andy Whitfield
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 11:30 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Lightning

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@...> wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> > but 'wondered it anyone had gone so far as
> > putting-in lightning conductors ... we rapidly shut-down all
computers &
> > h-fi & pulled all the plugs, this time ... but if we'd
had 'conductors,
> > would we have been able to carry-on & avoid all that ?
>
> Lightning conductors are primarily intended to protect buildings
that are at
> high risk of being struck in the first place eg tower blocks,
churches with
> high steeples etc and buildings/structures where damage to
electronic
> equipment would be catastrophic eg Telephone exchanges, data
centres, radio
> stations and transmitters.

Do you reckon a lightning conductor attracts lightning?
For example: If a house had a lightning conductor and the
neighbouring houses & buildings did not, then the house with the
conductor is more likely to be hit? (assuming all the
houses/buildings are of similar height).

> A proper lightning conductor will cost an awful lot of money and
may never
> be needed. If needed it may not be totally effective. My advise
would be to
> spend the money on insurance cover that will replace your
equipment if it
> does get damaged.

And have UPSs protecting your most valuable equipment.
Andy