Latest message you have seen: =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_-_=A350_Off_(Expires_Soon)?=

Re: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection

Frank -

thanks for posting that ... looks 'could be very useful ...

(David ... 'wonder how 'wouldbest  link into Idratek ?)

Chris

Frank Mc Alinden wrote:

>Hi Guys
>
>Thought some might be interested in this post Gerry made  to
Coccoontech
>regarding the Maxbotix sensor.............
>
>HTH
>Frank

>A particularly cool use of these sensors has been for beam break
detectors
>in doorways.
>
>In particular, if you are interested in not only knowing if someone
came
>through a door, but which way they came through, in the past, you'd
need two
>beams and figure which got crossed first, etc.
>
>If you install a EZ1 at a high enough angle to the door, you can figure
the
>measurement when it first change and last changed to determine which
way the
>person went. The controller has a ranging mode where you can tell it
that
>you only want reports about changes in a certain range of measures.
This is
>important because if they beam is at a sufficiantly high enough angle,
it'll
>probably go further than the door and you really don't want to gets
reports
>when someone just walks by the door.
>
>The controller will report when the range is entered and exited and
from
>which direction the range was entered and which direction the range was
>exited, making it easy to track direction of passage.
>
>Actually, I've been impressed with the range of uses folks are putting
the
>EZ1's to (I'm talking to a number of folks who are ordering the
controller
>trying to see what sort of variety there is out there).
>
>Here are a couple of the things that folks have told me they are using
the
>EZ1 and the controller for (all of these could be done with just the
EZ1 and
>more processing on the client side -- the controller is doing nothing
magic
>to make any of these possible):
>
>Occupancy sensing
>Car placement in the garage (i.e. parking in the right spot
>door/beam break tracking
>The now classic salt-tank tracking
>The less classic oil tank measuring
>Bomb defusing robots (seriously -- very cool robot with 12 sensors)
>Sump pump measurement/tracking/alerting
>Rain barrel/cistern tracking
>
>The next version of the firmware has the ability to use an otherwise
unused
>sensor channel as a digital output. You can program a sensor so that
when
>something is in a given range (or not in that range), the digital
output
>goes high (or low). I'm adding this because there are a few places
where I
>just really need to light a light or sound a buzzer when things are in
>certain range or not and I don't need a whole computer. Since the
controller
>can control 12 sensors but I rarely use more than 2 per board, that is
up to
>10 digital IO pins available. It won't handle all uses, but there is a
range
>of small tracking uses that it will simplify (for me, if nothing else)
>
>Gerry

transmission delays (if

kitchen area and

>>>then