Latest message you have seen: RE: CBus power usage

Re: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection

Hi Guys

Thought some might be interested in this post Gerry made  to Coccoontech
regarding the Maxbotix sensor.............

HTH
Frank

A particularly cool use of these sensors has been for beam break detectors
in doorways.

In particular, if you are interested in not only knowing if someone came
through a door, but which way they came through, in the past, you'd need
two
beams and figure which got crossed first, etc.

If you install a EZ1 at a high enough angle to the door, you can figure the
measurement when it first change and last changed to determine which way
the
person went. The controller has a ranging mode where you can tell it that
you only want reports about changes in a certain range of measures. This is
important because if they beam is at a sufficiantly high enough angle,
it'll
probably go further than the door and you really don't want to gets reports
when someone just walks by the door.

The controller will report when the range is entered and exited and from
which direction the range was entered and which direction the range was
exited, making it easy to track direction of passage.

Actually, I've been impressed with the range of uses folks are putting the
EZ1's to (I'm talking to a number of folks who are ordering the controller
trying to see what sort of variety there is out there).

Here are a couple of the things that folks have told me they are using the
EZ1 and the controller for (all of these could be done with just the EZ1
and
more processing on the client side -- the controller is doing nothing magic
to make any of these possible):

Occupancy sensing
Car placement in the garage (i.e. parking in the right spot
door/beam break tracking
The now classic salt-tank tracking
The less classic oil tank measuring
Bomb defusing robots (seriously -- very cool robot with 12 sensors)
Sump pump measurement/tracking/alerting
Rain barrel/cistern tracking

The next version of the firmware has the ability to use an otherwise unused
sensor channel as a digital output. You can program a sensor so that when
something is in a given range (or not in that range), the digital output
goes high (or low). I'm adding this because there are a few places where I
just really need to light a light or sound a buzzer when things are in a
certain range or not and I don't need a whole computer. Since the
controller
can control 12 sensors but I rarely use more than 2 per board, that is up
10 digital IO pins available. It won't handle all uses, but there is a
range
of small tracking uses that it will simplify (for me, if nothing else)

Gerry