Latest message you have seen: Re: Currentcost USB lead

Re: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection

  • Subject: Re: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:03:56 -0000

Hmm careful here, not completely sure that's right.  If the bit about
the aerial length is correct then the aerial can be wound up within a
casing.

I've just been reading tags the size and thickness of a post it note
from a distance of 8-10 feet with a handheld pda reader.  All passive,
no silly power outputs, just 869MHz with 0.5watts of power from the
reader.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Michael" <michaelhims@...> wrote:

> But are you talking about active or passive tags? Passive tag
readers need an ariel the same length as the distance you wish to
operate them from. Active tags have a greater range, and so you can
get away with less readers.

> I must admit I havn't looked at the cost of them, but I can't
imagine they would be that bad...

> Michael

the
way to
>   go.....
>
>   I have to agree but each time I've looked at it I just can't
justify the
>   expense. Too often people see tags at just a few pounds but from
what I've
>   seen those are the ones that you need to run past or hold close to
the
>   reader to get any movement sensed. All the tags I looked at were
quite
>   bulky and expensive. I also calculated I wouldn't get away with
reader
>   covering the whole house either. Originally I wanted to put a tag
in my car
>   but to get a reading I was going to have to stick it in the middle
of the
>   windscreen to get any use - I thought I could hide it behind the
grille
>   somewhere.
>
>   Certainly there are quite a few UK based HomeSeer users
successfully using