From: Malcolm Surgenor
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:06 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: HA Holy Grail #1: Occupancy Detection

>>Still think an Active (would give greater range) RFID tag is the
way to
go.....

I have to agree but each time I've looked at it I just can't justify the
expense. Too often people see tags at just a few pounds but from what I've
seen those are the ones that you need to run past or hold close to the
reader to get any movement sensed. All the tags I looked at were quite
bulky and expensive. I also calculated I wouldn't get away with reader
covering the whole house either. Originally I wanted to put a tag in my car
but to get a reading I was going to have to stick it in the middle of the
windscreen to get any use - I thought I could hide it behind the grille
somewhere.

Certainly there are quite a few UK based HomeSeer users successfully using
RFID but I just can't justify the expense - yet!

Malcolm

This message was checked by MailScan for WorkgroupMail.
www.workgroupmail.com