Re: X10 Question

  • Subject: Re: X10 Question
  • From: "solentelectricalservices" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:48:22 -0000

I also have access to an alarm system which has x10 capability and
also full rs232 control, anyone interested email me. I would post the
system but I cant for the life of me remeber what x10 control we
included or what it can do but anyone interested drop me an email
with some ideas of what is required and I will look into it further.
However it would be possible using RS232 and now tcp/ip to control
the system with products like homevision etc.... I use it with
Crestron and have developed bits and bobs with the guys for it. X10
was added for someone else so I dont know enough about it.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jonathan Hall" <jonathan@...>
wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> It is this one http://www.espuk.com/intro_infinite.htm
 I got it
from
> www.tlc-direct.co.uk <http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/>
as they were
the
> cheapest I could find.  Comfort seemed to be a bit OTT for what I
wanted to
> start with as I'd decided not to put any HA into our current house
but would
> in the next.
>

> The x10 module is a daughter board that plugs in, alone with a phone
> dialler, which I have, and a GSM dialler, which I don't.  I don't
have the
> x10 module yet either as I hadn't plan to go down that route
initially but I
> like the idea of being to activate the lights if the alarm
activates.
> Having emailed the tech people at the company about the x10 module
they say
> that the next version of the firmware will be able to switch on the
lights
> but they don't have it in yet. I've asked them for some info techy
info
> today but not had a response yet.  When I do I'll post what I find
out.

> Like you I'm not going wireless, my cousin is a sparkie, who does
alarms,
> and he said as I could run wires in, I'm renovating the house so I
took it
> back to the shell, to do that.  He said the batteries go flat in
the sensors
> and unless you keep on top of it you might not know and then there
a comms
> issues. I tried wireless LAN in my house and decided to CAT 5 the
place.

> Cheers
>
> Jonathan
>

>   _____

Behalf Of
> White, Peter
> Sent: 21 August 2006 12:09
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] X10 Question
>

> What alarm is it? I've not been able to find any alarm that
supports X10,
> apart from a Prosys (currently installed, and it's bloody awful to
> configure) and a wireless one whose name escapes me, but it was
something to
> do with BT. We're now ripping out the alarm and replacing it with
something
> a little more standard, and just having very basic X10 via relays
and
> powerflash modules. As I've got the wires I'd rather use them
rather than
> going wireless.
>
> Pete
>
> _____

mis-es.com]
> Sent: 21 August 2006 11:50
> To: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] X10 Question
>
> Jonathan,
>
> The LD11's (+ 99% of all modules available in the UK) do *not*
support
> status response. This means that it is impossible for the alarm
panel to
> simply ask the modules if the light is currently on or off. In your
> particular case I don't think it matters because the Alarm panel
will
> not be toggling the light like the light switches do, it will be
issuing
> an explicit X10 command "Light ON". This means if the light
is
currently
> off it will turn on but if already on it will remain on i.e. ignore
the
> command
>
> In fact if you use an LD11 (which supports extended codes) and your
> alarm panel supports extended X10 commands, then you could actually
> issue a "Direct To 100%" command which would then mean that
if the
light
> was already on but dimmed it would brighten to 100% instead of
remaining
> dimmed.
>
> Marcus

> From: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>