Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

[OT] Building Regs

  • Subject: [OT] Building Regs
  • From: "Jamie Bennett" <jamie.bennett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:37:01 +0200

Hi,

We are planning to move house now but a year a half ago I converted my
garage into a home cinema 'on the cheap'. I drylined the walls and
built a false wall in front of the garage door with the intention of
staying here quite a few years and converting the space back into a
garage before we moved out. But with a my new job the move has come
faster than I had hoped. Now I don't want to advertise the garage as
being a 'habitable room' so I'm ok there but when we had it done a
builder friend cut a doorway from the kitchen to the garage.
Everything is up to spec, step down into the garage, fire door and
frame in place, fire strips in the doorway, self closing door e.t.c
but we didn't get a building regs certificate at the time as I
foolishly didn't know anything about them.

Reading up now am I right in assuming that any work that is over a
year old doesn't need a building regs certificate? Could this doorway
cause a problem when theres a survey done on the house? Panicing a bit
now !

Cheers,
Jamie.