RE: Re: RAID recommendations?

scan=
!!
>=20
> Paul - any reasoning on your choice of drive size? or is it just a
> sensible compromise between size without having to pay price
premiums??
>=20

Exactly that. The 400's aren't quite the cheapest per GB at the moment,
but=
they're not too much of a premium either. - The 500's however are just a b=
it too far ahead on price premium. - Things may of course change by xmas,
b=
ut I still suspect the same will be true - just with very slightly lower
pr=
ices...

Plus, I'm going to have to buy at least 3 of them (min requirement for
RAID=
5), - and in truth that really means 4, since 3x400 in RAID5 would yield
me=
*less* useable space than I have now...

> I am correct in assuming that all drives need to be the same size??
> Thanks
> Noel
>=20

Ideally yes, - otherwise I believe most array controllers will
"waste" the =
extra space on any larger drives to make them all appear to have the same
a=
mount of useable capacity as the smallest drive in the set...

Paul G.