Re: Re: Main server partitioning strategy

liakakos wrote:

> With LVM You can create volumes that sit on a single disk (you can use
> the lvcreate command to specify a particular one if required), or span
> disks if there isn't enough space on one, or you can stripe across
> multiple disks for performance.

Yep, been reading the LVM HowTo.

> That's it.

So no advantage to putting multiple partitions on a single disc to keep
the fsck time manageable? (Because you're not building the filesystem on
the partition - you're building it on the volume you create from the
volume group).

> There's your starter course in LVM. Any questions?

So, I only have 2 discs, but I can foresee a need for at least 3
separate volumes - zoneminder, CDs & DVDs, and user data. The first two
probably won't be backed up. Do I just create 3 volumes from the volume
group? Can I then, for example, block copy the user data volume to a
separate backup disc on a regular basis?

Just one more question, Ext3, XFS, or ReiserFS? Or ...?

Thanks!

Jim