RE: Sky+ with Tivo

  • Subject: RE: Sky+ with Tivo
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:16:13 +0100

Paul,

I think your description below is correct.

For sometime I used two receivers with the Sky multi-room package
allowing one rx'er to be dedicated to TiVo. My TiVo, records 12 hours
plus a day so the dedicated TiVo Sky rx'er is kept busy.

I got round the failed channel changes by using a Sky Box IR rx'er
connected to RF2 of the digibox and placed it in a sealed box with the
TiVo IR Transmitter... Blanked off the front of the Digi Box and turned
off the IR Blaster on the TiVo for good measure.

I recently took advantage of the Sky+ upgrade and now have a dedicated
Sky digibox (with multi-room) for the TiVo, this happens to be in the
basement in the new house. I use my X-Box to watch the TiVo which is a
great feature.

I Now have the Sky+ box in the living room in the cottage for use by
those in the living room (main viewing room).

Some of the features I like about Sky+:
1. Ability to record a channel and watch another. A+
2. Ability to record two channels. A+

Some of the features I don't like about Sky+: (and why TiVo is better)
1. Unable to watch anything when no satellite signal present. (I have a
tree problem)
2. Unable to search for program by name search.
3. Program must be in EPG to enable it to be recorded (EPG only 1 week)
4. Searching through EPG for programs is tedious.
5. Unreliable recording of series. (Example. Waking the dead on Sunday
with part 2 on Monday. Sky+ does not recognise Monday episode as part
2!)
6. Fast forward through programs does not show progress bar.
7. When you start watching a program that has already begun and catch up
with real time, by FF through adverts, it gives error message saying you
have reached end of recording. (TiVo just continues to play in real
time...)

Some benefits of TiVo that Sky+ doesn't even try:
1. TiVoweb, recorded many programs using XDAII and modified ToDo list
2. Integration with XBMC
3. Ability to pick programs you might like.
5. Season passes that work, currently have 500+
6. Ability to prioritise Season Passes (What does Sky+ do when a future
schedule clashes after you have set it???)
6. 10 Second step back when you hit play while FF'wding, just makes
skipping adverts easier.

I haven't played with MS Media player, and would be interested to make a
similar list

I feel better now.....

Nigel