Latest message you have seen: Seeking longer IDE cable

Some iTunes Video user opinions

  • Subject: Some iTunes Video user opinions
  • From: "Ward, David" <DAvid.Ward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:57:27 +0100

iTunes Video Reviews

Richard Numeroff

Downloaded iTunes 6 yesterday, purchased the pilot episode of Desperate
Housewives and was watching it full screen on my 1680x1050 (Dell) display
within 10 minutes. Picture quality - VHS, Sound quality - very very good.
Altogether very satisfying experience all things considered and have a
sense
of excitement of another revolution having just occurred. This all on a
1.33
GHz 1.25 GB RAM 12" PowerBook running 10.4.2 with cable modem. Wow.

Marty Blase

I just bought and watched the fourth season 2 episode of "Lost"
-- Apple
stuck it online the day after it broadcast, just as promised. I'd already
upgraded my PowerMac to iTunes 6 and QuickTime 7.0.3 last night, and was
hesitant based on some reports as to how good it might look.

Well, after watching the entire episode full-screen on my 17" monitor
(and
why, pray tell, can we view video full-screen in iTunes but not in the free
QuickTime Player?), I can testify that the quality is plenty good. Not DVD
quality, but nobody promised or expected that -- I'd say it's on par with a
high-quality home VHS recording. All text in the credits was readable, all
the faces were sharp, colors were great, and only when there was a lot of
detail (like tree leaves moving slightly in the breeze, or tiny
nutrition-fact text on the candy bars) was the lack of resolution really
noticeable.

Yeah, those video iPods may have a tiny screen and not be well-suited for
playback, but the iTMS (iTunes Media Store?) will have a good audience in
people who don't mind storing and watching shows on their computer.

Only gripe: as promised, there's no DVD burning of episodes (except as
archived data). I tried importing it into iMovie, which wasn't updated, but
the QuickTime update apparently blocks it. Probably Toast 7 will allow it,
but it's not that important enough to me right now. Perhaps further
negotiations with Disney will impress upon them the common sense in letting
us archive low-quality video to standard DVD, the same way we can archive
downloaded iTunes music to standard audio CDs.