Latest message you have seen: RE: Photos of Home Automation

Re: Cybiko for inexpensive wireless comms

Pete,

>is this the sort of thing you were thinking about?
Very much so.

The software that we've pulled together for the Cybiko is all about
having one Cybiko connected (via RS232) to a PC (or central
microcontroller) and a second unit used as a 'remote control' unit.
Typically, the connected Cybiko runs SerialRelay and the remote unit
runs RFTerminal. Since RFTerminal implements a smart VT220 style
terminal (with bitmap support), you can design the UI for your remote
control Cybiko very quickly.

The range of the RF signal is pretty good ... around 70metres. The RF
link runs at 9600baud - sufficient for most applications. I prefer to
use the Cybiko Xtreme model as a remote handset since it is less
clunky than the Classic model. However, you must have at least one
Classic since the Xtreme has no RS232 port.

Visit http://www.dbzoo.com/wiki/cybiko/rfterm
to see an example of
this sort of thing.

I suppose that it would be possible to use a CAN bus to RS232
convertor to connect a Cybiko directly onto the bus, but dedicated
software would be needed on the Cybiko to handle the generation and
reception of the CAN data packets. If you already have a PC connected
to the CAN bus, it may well be easier to connect a Cybiko directly to
the same PC.

Do let me know if you decide to give this a try ... I'd be happy to help.

Derek

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Pete Shew" <pslists@g...> wrote:

> I'm *slowly* putting together a wired CAN network to control the
central
> heating from fixed stations with a CAN-serial link to a PC for more
complex
> management. It strikes me that a pair of Cybikos - one connected
serially
> to the CAN bus and the other roaming would provide a mobile interface
> the CH and indeed any other service that could be connected to the
CAN bus
> or via IP from the computer, e,g, slimserver.
>
> Am I barking (up the wrong tree) or is this the sort of thing you were
> thinking about?
>
> Pete

> On 12/10/2005 at 12:24 bty727563 wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just joined this interesting group.
> >
> >Have recently been working with a colleague to develop some
utility
> >software for the Cybiko handheld unit. Since the downfall of
Cybiko
> >Inc. these neat little units can be picked up, cheaply, on
eBay.co.uk

> >Anyway, all of our work to date and ideas are on a Wiki at
> >http://www.dbzoo.com/wiki/cybiko/cybiko
> >
> >We've worked hard to make the wireless RS232 to RS232
'serialrelay'