Latest message you have seen: Re: What Multimeter? General HA Use

Re: Re: Cybiko for inexpensive wireless comms

Sounds like it's worth having a go. The reason I would want to connect to
the CAN bus is that the CH controller will be on there and the PC is not
guaranteed to be turned on. I can make the PIC micro, which performs the
CAN-RS232 interface change the CAN packets into something more suitable for
Cybiko and vice versa. I could make it behave as a VT100 host for this
application, but I would like to be more generic. However, it may be the
easy way to start, and all things software can change.

First try would be to get a PIC to drive the VT100 on a single Cybiko, then
extend in both directions.

I'll let you know if/when I do something with this.

Pete

On 13/10/2005 at 09:22 bty727563 wrote:

>Pete,
>
>>is this the sort of thing you were thinking about?
>Very much so.
>
>The software that we've pulled together for the Cybiko is all about
>having one Cybiko connected (via RS232) to a PC (or central
>microcontroller) and a second unit used as a 'remote control' unit.
>Typically, the connected Cybiko runs SerialRelay and the remote unit
>runs RFTerminal. Since RFTerminal implements a smart VT220 style
>terminal (with bitmap support), you can design the UI for your remote
>control Cybiko very quickly.
>
>The range of the RF signal is pretty good ... around 70metres. The RF
>link runs at 9600baud - sufficient for most applications. I prefer to
>use the Cybiko Xtreme model as a remote handset since it is less
>clunky than the Classic model. However, you must have at least one
>Classic since the Xtreme has no RS232 port.
>
>Visit http://www.dbzoo.com/wiki/cybiko/rfterm
to see an example of

wrote:

>> I'm *slowly* putting together a wired CAN network to control the
central
>> heating from fixed stations with a CAN-serial link to a PC for
more
>complex
>> management. It strikes me that a pair of Cybikos - one connected
>serially
>> to the CAN bus and the other roaming would provide a mobile
interface to
>> the CH and indeed any other service that could be connected to the
>CAN bus
>> or via IP from the computer, e,g, slimserver.
>>
>> Am I barking (up the wrong tree) or is this the sort of thing you
were
>> thinking about?
>>
>> Pete

>> On 12/10/2005 at 12:24 bty727563 wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Just joined this interesting group.
>> >
>> >Have recently been working with a colleague to develop some
utility
>> >software for the Cybiko handheld unit. Since the downfall of
Cybiko
>> >Inc. these neat little units can be picked up, cheaply, on
eBay.co.uk

>> >Anyway, all of our work to date and ideas are on a Wiki at
>> >http://www.dbzoo.com/wiki/cybiko/cybiko
>> >
>> >We've worked hard to make the wireless RS232 to RS232
'serialrelay'