RE: [OT] Tips for when i go to New York

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Tips for when i go to New York
  • From: "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:13:51 -0000

The Apple Store in Soho sells the Bose stuff as well, for the same money as
everywhere else.
=20
We were out there this time last year, and it was cold and wet.  Oddly, the
place is so PC these days it's didn't feel very Christmassy....obviously
th=
tree at the Rockefeller Centre, and some decs in the shops, but nothing on
the scale of the Christmas Lights in London, for example.
=20
Despite the weather, we walked almost everywhere (we stayed in the
financia=
district, so well away from most of the shopping), or got the Metro. Only
once did we end up on the wrong train in Brooklyn (easily done!).
=20
There are some great restaurants there, and some really crap ones.  I
forge=
the name of one of them, (somewhere near Times Square, 'famous' for it's
cheesecake) but it was awful, and expensive.  Lots of nice restaurants in
Soho and the hotels, but if I were you just try to avoid the 'touristy'
ones, which inevitably are over-priced and not very good.  We used to go to
Joe Allens a lot in London, so made a point of going there in NY, just as
good.
=20
If you're doing a lot of shopping, most the big stores (Macy's etc) do some
sort of discount card for tourists, which is worth another 5-10% off.
=20
I think we got a yellow cab from JFK, fixed price.  Going back the hotel
Concierge organised a limo, no doubt on a back-hander, but didn't cost us
any more, and was actually driven by a native New Yorker, unlike 99% of the
cabs.
=20
Jet lag's a pain, but much easier going out than coming back.  You'll land
an hour or 2 after you leave (taking into account the time diff), so it
jus=
makes it a long day, and probably an early start the following day.  Coming
back is through the night, so if you sleep on planes then it's not too bad,
if you don't, then you'll be knackered for a day or 2.
=20
If you're flying Virgin (and some of the others, but most expect a frequent
flyer card, whereas Virgin aren't so bothered), they often allow you to pay
on the day for an upgrade, but at a much reduced rate.  I see no reason why
your first flight shouldn't be in style!  We were pulled out the queue and
offered an upgrade to Upper for =A3199 - well worth it IMHO.  Even if you
don't upgrade, this site is excellent for helping to choose the best seats
in cattle class - www.seatguru.com <http://www.seatguru.com>=20
=20
Pete
=20