Latest message you have seen: Magicbox IMP Adapt WiFi Internet Radio & Media Player

Re: Win MCE recording SKY channels

>> > Viewing card,
EPG?
>> > Not having
Guide and

>> > I've never heard of the PCI sky cards but when you buy an MCE
>> > remote it comes with two extra I-R senders which you can use
>> > to stick on the front of your sky box to change channels.
>> > Then just connect the Sky box to the coax in on the elonex
>> > and the sound feed to your sound cards line in. Should work
>> > fine although its not a one box solution.
>>
>> I believe the phrase is "pigs will fly" before dear old
Roops allows the
>> soap-dodging techie fraternity any kind of access to his pay-TV
>> service. As
>> soon as there is any sort of PC based Sky Digital receiving device
>> available
>> his service will get hacked to buggery - whilst it is kept a
closed
>> system
>> then he has far more chance of keeping it un-hacked.
>>
> Errr.... there is a PCI DVB-S card available, and it does allegedly
'do'
> Sky....
> You do need an external card reader

So it doesn't take a Sky viewing card itself then?

> and a valid Sky card,

Fair enough...

> a some third
> party software to perform some magic...

Does this software work under Media Centre Edition?

> Can't remember what forum/mailing list I read it on, but the card was
> called a 'Dragon' pci card and it was being used in a MythTV box...

Ahhh ... mythTV - that would be Linux then? Not Windows MCE (or Windows of
any flavour)?

So basically it's a DVB-S receiver that someone somewhere has said they
can get to receive Sky under Linux, and not a plug in and go Sky receiver
that takes a Sky viewing card and is supported under Windows Media Centre?

There are lots of hacks and so forth available for all sorts of things
(remember OnDigital and the gold cards?) Activation hiding for Windows XP.
Hooky serials for this and patched/cracked dll's for that etc. but they
are all just kludges and can't really be relied upon.

Phil