Latest message you have seen: Re: (OT) On line photo albums

RE: Integrating EIB/KNX with Hometronic

  • Subject: RE: Integrating EIB/KNX with Hometronic
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:02:54 -0000

Hi Slavo

It *may* be possible using the European version of Hometronic (that uses
rack mounted cards), but not using the HCM200D version of the Hometronic
Manager as used in the UK and parts of Europe as there is no comms port
that
could be used for the interface. In the UK we are working on an RS232
module
that adds some functionality but again it is restricted to the comms that
uses the wireless protocol so not every function is available. If you want
packaged control system that works straight from the box with
boiler/ventilation or cooling then Hometronic is very good. EIB/KNX can do
much more but the reliability and operation is almost entirely dependent on
the skills of the installer to write robust, bug-free code that includes
all
of the functionality you require. This custom software can become a
maintenance liability as it becomes difficult over time to find
companies/engineers that will support software that they have not written.
If you are looking for more sophisticated main plant control without these
difficulties then the Centra range of controllers may offer a better fit -
it is another Honeywell brand and uses a programmable controller with
standardised applications to avoid the need for custom code. This way the
Centraline controllers take care of main plant and it is demand driven by
the Hometronic system. This gives you a simple user interface alongside
more
complex main plant control without any custom software to cause problems.

HTH

Neil B.

_____