Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen
  • From: "bty727563" <derek.kennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:51:55 -0000

Ian,

The full command set can be seen at http://www.simmetry.com/inslit2.asp

You don't need any external electronics to use this ... just a
regulated 5VDC supply and RS232 to send in commands/receive
touchscreen output.

The units ships with a really neat built-in 'touchscreen keypad' data
entry utility. There is also a nice 'rolling demo' mode that comes
pre-supplied and runs on 1st power up of the unit.

All the brains for this display are in the PSoC chip - I suggested a
few ideas to the author (Dave) and he incorporated them in a later
release (he sent me a new PSoC chip).

Both display contrast and brightness can be set via commands sent over
RS232. Don't know if there is a landscape/portrait flip.

A great little unit. I think that anyone would be hard pressed to do
as good a job with an AVR chip as Dave has done with the PSoC.

I do have one spare ... happy to loan this to you if you would like to
play/experiment.

Derek.

ukha_d@xxxxxxx

>                       ternet.com>                cc:       (bcc:
Ian
Bird/CV/Novartis)
>                       Sent by:                   Subject:  [ukha_d]
Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch
>                       ukha_d@yahoogroups.         screen

>                       com

>                       09/11/2005 06:55

>                       Please respond to

>                       ukha_d

> I've been using a 128x64 display from the guy at www.simmetry.com
> This supports touchscreen, text and graphics over RS232.
> Interestingly, he uses a PSoC as the controller for this.
>
> A bit pricey on the website at $129, but he lists these on ebay.com -
> I got a few at around the $70 mark.
>
> Derek.
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, ian.bird@c... wrote:
> >
> > > If you did that, I'd certainly relieve you of a few :-)
> > That' good news. Does the added hardware cost affect you here?

> > >Yeah, I'd be up for that.
> > Sounds like a plan then
> >
> > >I think a plug-in architdecture is exactly right. When
finished, it
> > should be usable as an
> > >xPL/xAP OSD as well as generating xPL/xAP messages in
response to
user
> > actions (so
> > >messages go both ways). But initially it would work without
xPL/xAP
> > support.
> > Good
> >
> > >Would your API support graphics only, or text as well? Or put
another
> > way, does the
> > >display have built-in fonts that can be mixed with graphics?
> > At the moment I support graphics as well as text and simple
shapes
e.g.
> > circle, oblong, line etc. I could present an API to these I
guess. The
> > text is a little odd and only one font is in there which is 7 by
6
> pixels
> > IIRC. I also support custom characters but there are a bunch of
> > limitations here (all font stuff actually) including the fact
that
they