Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Possible bulk buy on 128 by 64 graphic displays with touch screen
  • From: ian.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:08:33 -0500

Hi Paul

It is not quite that simple. You will need some glue in the middle.
Typically this may be a PIC or similar as these applications tend to be
embedded.

The parallel bit is the way of communicating with the LCD chip. Actually
it can talk by both serial and parallel (no relation to the PC versions).
My implementation is parallel as it is quicker for a given clock speed. In
parallel mode there are 13 i/o lines including 8 for data, reset, clock
and some others. This requirement can be reduced by using it in serial
mode. At a guess you would lose the requirement for 7 lines so about 6
lines would be needed. On top of that your PIC would need a serial port to
receive the data from the touch screen. The PIC would then do all the
magic and print stuff on the screen. If you had switches the PIC would
monitor these and send something back to the host on the other end of the
MSS100.

To enable it to receive from an MSS100 you would need a PIC with two
serial ports, one for the touch screen and one for the MSS100. Some
programmatic glue in there and you are most of the way there. Whilst it
would be possible to convert the C routines I have into assembler I would
recommend using a C compiler for the PIC or similar.

I am actually doing this except I have a 10 base T Ethernet presentation
so plug in the RJ45 directly and off you go. I do not intend to offer this
as a solution however because no-one would be able to work with it as I
have made the compiler and chip choice.

Any more questions fire away

Thanks

Ian