RE: Re: Splicing SVHS cables

  • Subject: RE: Re: Splicing SVHS cables
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:00:45 -0000

Marc,

What you want to do with the continuity check is ensure that the right
pin at one end is connected to the correct pin/socket at the other, and
also that it's not additionally connected to anything else.

Here's the pin-out for an S-video plug
http://www.proav.de/index.html?http&&&www.proav.de/video/s-video.html

You'd set your multimeter to it's "continuity" setting, usually a
picture of a diode on the dial. Then touch one probe onto one of the
pins and touch the other probe onto each of the other pins in turn, and
to the metal part of the plug. The multimeter should *not* beep when the
2nd probe is touched anywhere else. The meter *should* beep when you
touch the two probes together. Repeat this for each of the other pins.

If you do get a beep when you shouldn't, it indicates that you've
crossed and/or shorted one wire/screen to something else. You need to
disassemble your modified plug to find out where :-(

The other test to do, any it may be difficult now, is to touch one probe
to pin 1 at one end of the cable, then touch the 2nd probe onto pin 1 at
the other end of the cable. The meter *should* beep now, indicating an
electrical path between the two pins. Repeat for the other pins and the
metal plug.

HTH,

Tim.