Re: mp3 Squeezebox or Roku display units

  • Subject: Re: mp3 Squeezebox or Roku display units
  • From: "egelbeertje" <r_d_k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:14:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...> wrote:

> egelbeertje wrote:
>=20
> >
> >Unfortunately I cannot route back the audio output from a=20
> >Squeezebox/Roku to my node0 amp (distance) so the question is
as=20
> >follows :
> >=20=20
> >
> Assuming no CAT5 of any form you could use one of those 'audio over=20
> mains' devices that have appeared in the last few months. They (I=20
think)=20
> translate the audio to digital and back again but I could be wrong.=20
I am=20
> told the quality is quite reasonable. but I am not sure how much of=20
an=20
> audiophile you are...  I even believe you can handle mutiple=20
> destinations or multisource setups through addressing  (just saw it=20
in=20
> the CPC 'gadgets' catalog this morning around =A370 I think)
>=20
> >1) Can I use the squeezebox/Roku to just display the current
song=20
> >playing on my pc audio server=20
> >
>=20
> What software player do you use for mp3 btw ?? It might be there is=20
a=20
> xAP conduit for this...
>=20
> When you move to a Roku or Slim based player design their=20
functional=20
> intent is to play the music through their own hardware rather than=20
> supporting a software/PC based player, so you have a fundamental=20
> decision whether to stay with such a solution or add player hadware=20
at=20
> the amplifier and/or control locations.
>=20
> The Squeezebox is probably going to be more flexible than a Roku at=20
> this. Essentially a Roku is a UPnP renderer (player) sourcing its=20
files=20
> from a UPnP server running on a PC (or iTunes.). Now I'm not=20
totally=20
> familiar with iTunes so I'm not sure if you can play locally on the=20
PC=20
> the same audio synched that is being selected/controlled/played on=20
a=20=20
> remote player. You can't achieve thsi with UPnP so that's not going=20
to=20
> fly. A Roku can actually attach to a Slim server as well though=20
(and at=20
> the current $99 offer price they're excellent value).  The Roku has=20
> better (and larger) displays available and both have xAP based=20
display=20
> capabilities , xAP control for Roku is via TelCanto whereas Slim=20
control=20
> is a free xAP application.
>=20
> A Squeezebox can synchronise with a software version called=20
> 'SoftSqueeze' (I believe - I've never actually tried this) -and=20
thus the=20
> player would actually be just a head devcie for the music playing=20
via a=20
> Softsqueeze PC application. Indeed I'm guessing this may be=20
possible for=20
> multiple players so some form of multiroom may be achievable.   I'm=20
not=20
> sure Roku's can synch at all, even two hardware players but i could=20
be=20
> wrong. This maybe a restriction of UPnP
>=20
> The xAP Slim conduit fully supports real time event information and=20
> control from xAP (although not full playlist management eg 'insert'=20
etc)=20
> and so you could create a PC application of any visual appearance=20
> displaying 'Now Playing' info etc.eg 144 point text !  (using xAP=20
> Desktop).  Indeed this could control a PC/Softsqueeze instance so=20
you=20
> don't actually have to purchase anything as SlimServer is free.  If=20
your=20
> existing mp3 app has a xAP conduit then again this could be=20
possible.=20=20=20
> This is actually one of the 'raison d'etres' of xAP/xPL the player=20
> becomes a secondary concern   - if they both have a xAP conduit=20
then the=20
> display/control is the same from xAP - and you can swap one for the=20
> other and things (theoretically) stay the same.
>=20
>=20
> >and 2) could I use the unit to generate=20
> >playlists etc while keeping the Xantech Smartpad as primary=20
controller=20
> >for volume and source select etc. (now I just push NEXT to get
a=20
> >different mp3 but it would be nice to see which one you're
gonna=20
get :-)
> >=20=20
> >
>=20
> That's slightly more awkward as you need 'next playing' information=20
and=20
> also generating playlists is quite an open ended request.  Adding=20
an=20
> album to a current queue is one thing, inserting track 6 from an=20
album=20
> you just searched for into position 23 in a playlist (that may or=20
not be=20
> the current one) and then saving it is quite another. I can't=20
remember=20
> if the xAP conduit gives you 'next playing' info I'll take a peek.
>=20
>=20
> >rgds Rob
> >=20=20
> >
>=20
> PS What wiring have you got in for your Xantech stuff ??  Just=20
wondering=20
> if there's spare capacity there.
>=20
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Currently using winamp 2.92 - it's light (running on a p2/300mhz) and=20
it has a plugin for a serial IR receiver (with some ir blasters stuck=20
to it) so it does what it has to do - shuffle 20000 tracks non-stop :-
)=20

I do have 2 or 4 spare wires inside the cat 5 that I used to hookup=20
the smartpads.

I think I'll settle for 1) only, the next track solution would be a=20
nice bonus but I'll be happy with the display only.
Alternatively a serial VFD display would do the trick as well but=20
what do I need then - I'm not to good a writing software.

Alternatively I've been thinking of hiding an old laptop in a ceiling=20
void (with a small touchscreen tft in the wall) and just use it to=20
drive the display with a vnc connection to the music server to do the=20
trick, I still have the plan to run something like Xlobby but would=20
need some better hardware first :-( and more cat 5 in doifferent=20
locations.

rgds Rob.