Re: Lantronix MSS100

  • Subject: Re: Lantronix MSS100
  • From: "g8kmh" <g8kmh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:44:28 -0000

Me too! Let me try again....

Often the MSS100 is connected to 'dongles' (such as the TOM10 serial
to Dallas temperature sensors) which need 5 volt supplies (they might
say they need 12v but usually they're lying!). You can end up with
the proverbial spaghetti...and wall wart disease as well.

The makers of the MSS100 also saw the need to power external devices
and put in place a way of doing this. The component they inteded to
go in there was a small inductor/choke and this is labelled L4 on the
printed circuit board(remove both screws and the nuts on the D-type
connector to gain access to the internals). Bridging the two pads of
L4 with a piece of wire will give you the 5 volts output on pin 11.
Pin 7 is the ground pin, hence +5V with respect to pin 7. For those
who worry about RF interference then put a few uH in there.

802.3af is 'Power over Ethernet' and an MSS100 with that (doesn't
exist as far as I know but someone will no doubt prove me wrong)
would even remove the need for the one supply for the MSS100 as it
would get its power 'down the line'.

Lehane

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@x...> wrote:

> Seemed perfectly understandable to me ;)

Behalf Of
> Groups
> Sent: 05 November 2005 15:53
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Lantronix MSS100
>

> >>If you open one up you will see a component designation L4
near
the
> >>25 way D-type. If you have a small inductor use that or
otherwise