RE: Fw: [OT] Phone and data services over cat5

  • Subject: RE: Fw: [OT] Phone and data services over cat5
  • From: "michael.furlong" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:31:21 -0000

Matthew,

I have done this for direct lines and for analogue extensions off a pabx
and
had no problems (please note this is in Ireland where the incomers are two
wire but I have done much the same in the UK in the past), however I have
had intermittent problems when doing it with 4 wire panasonic system
phones.

This has only been done on sites where it would be very difficult to get an
extra cable in. If you are going to be running cables anyway then I would
run an extra cat5 (or ordinary telephone cable if you really must).

The major cost is in terminating the cables. For one CAT5 serving two
faceplates/patch panel ports the termination costs will be the same or
maybe
even higher than running two CAT 5s depending on how you do it....i.e. the
only extra cost is the cable and labour which costs very little on a per
run
basis if both cables are running to the same location.

You will kick yourself later if you don't run more CAT5.

Mick