RE: Fw: [OT] Phone and data services over cat5

  • Subject: RE: Fw: [OT] Phone and data services over cat5
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:50:36 -0000

Hi Matt,

You *CAN* do what you want to do but you *SHOULDNT*

You are missing the whole point behind going to the trouble and expense of
installing a structured wiring scheme.

The whole ethos of structured wiring is that you have a Common
Infrastructure of CAT 5 cable  that can be used for a variety of purposes,
phone, fax, pbx, ethernet, AV, ISDN etc. Correctly installed and correctly
used, a structured wiring scheme makes it a doddle to relocate kit and
sevices but the golden rule is....

ONE service on ONE cable at ONE time.

Using adapters and splitter leads makes things very untidy particularly at
densly packed patch panel and greatly increases the possibility of
misconnection and possible equipment damage.

Going one step further and splitting two pairs out to each of two sockets
is
even worse as any equipment that needs all four pairs will definately not
work.

As I said at the start, you *CAN* do it but please *DONT*

Run more cable, it only costs pennies, adapters and splitters should only
be
used as a last resort when there is no possible way to get more cables
through.

Regards

Keith