Re: Was [OT] Help with power usage calculation, Now: Wake on lan problem

Simon Ryley wrote:

> Using the Wake on Lan GUI tool from http://tinyurl.com/6z7xs I can wake
> the machine up from another machine connected to the home network.
> However, I can't wake the machine up from work, i.e. over the
internet.

> I use a Netgear DG834G with the firewall turned on.  I've added a
custom
> service and a firewall rule to the router to direct any UDP requests
> port 9 of the router to port 9 of the IP address that is permanently
> assigned to the home machine that I want to turn on.  According to the
> firewall logs, it is receiving the UDP request and sending it to the
> correct address.  But the machine never starts up.

Why port 9? The above website suggests port 7 is the default the tool
uses...?

Also, it says 'If you wish to use Wake On Lan over the internet you will
need to set up your destination firewall/router to allow "Subnet
Directed Broadcasts". Most routers and firewalls disable this option
by
default.'

Does the netgear have this option and is it enabled?

They seem to have a web based WoL tool you can use to test-wake a
machine...

Jim