Sonos Has Landed

  • Subject: Sonos Has Landed
  • From: Dan Khan <dan.khan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:31:19 +1300

Hi all,

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to publicly thank Gareth Cook for
his sterling work organising the Sonos bulk buy, including working
around my wonkey NZ requirements now that I have left the UK.  He
really is a most generous person and a benefit to this community.

My Sonos packages were shipped direct to me in NZ from the US, and
took approximately 6 days to arrive and clear customs.  444 dollars in
tax and landing fees (177 quid), with no customs charge(!).  I ordered
4 zoneplayers and two controllers, all turned up in one big box.

The first thing you notice is how well packaged the boxes are - both
zoneplayer and controller are snuggly surrounded in polystyrene and
then packed tightly in professionally printed boxes - very nice.

Each zoneplayer box also includes a manual and both include a
quick-start sheet - it really does look simple to setup.

The build quality on the zoneplayer and controller looks very good -
well finished.  I forgot that as well as the other connections on the
back of the zoneplayer, there is also a 4 port ethernet switch so I
guess you can also use them to wirelessly extend your network - maybe
pretty useful if you want to place other things in each zone like a
PC, IP camera or similar.  Banana plug connections on the back are the
push-spring type and seem pretty solid.

The controller is a little larger than the old prontos but fits well
into both hands.  The scroll wheel appears to be iPod like.  There are
3 hard buttons under the display that appear to be used for different
function depending upon the menu selected.  All looks very
professional.

Unfortunately, my little brother surprised us by turned up in NZ from
the UK on monday and is staying for 2 weeks so I haven't had time to
actually set them up  yet, but I am hoping to do this over the next
few days - I'll definitely put some pictures and a review up online.
If anyone else wants to know anything about them, or get me to
photograph anything in particular let me know.

Gareth tells me that the UK guys still have to wait a little longer
for theirs ;)  You certainly won't be disappointed!

More to follow.

Regards,
-Dan