Was [OT] Help with power usage calculation, Now: Wake on lan problem

Following on from the discussion of energy costs, I'm trying to get wake
on lan to work properly over the internet so I can turn on my home/media
pc as and when required, without having to leave in on all the time.
Any help on this one would be great.

I access my home machine using UltraVnc from time to time, either to run
programs that I can't install at work, or to access output files from
those programs.  Obviously the machine needs to be on to allow this,
which is a little wasteful of power when I probably use it for about one
hour per day on average.

Using the Wake on Lan GUI tool from http://tinyurl.com/6z7xs I can wake
the machine up from another machine connected to the home network.
However, I can't wake the machine up from work, i.e. over the internet.

I use a Netgear DG834G with the firewall turned on.  I've added a custom
service and a firewall rule to the router to direct any UDP requests to
port 9 of the router to port 9 of the IP address that is permanently
assigned to the home machine that I want to turn on.  According to the
firewall logs, it is receiving the UDP request and sending it to the
correct address.  But the machine never starts up.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas?

Thanks,

Simon