Latest message you have seen: Re: [OT] Whs Connector problem

Re: [OT] standard for wiring up a secondary telephone socket

  • Subject: Re: [OT] standard for wiring up a secondary telephone socket
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:22:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Davey" <DB1001@e...> wrote:
> I found out the other week (from Keith) that you don't need 3
connected as
> this was for "tinkling" or rather to stop the tinkling on
old
phones. So
> depending on the age of phones you may not need to connect it. but
since
> it's there you might as well.

CLARIFICATION.... "May Not need 3... but might!"

The antiTinkle/Bell wire on pin 3 was indeed used to stop bell
tinkle when dialling from pulse dial phones but it is ALSO used as
the Bell Wire and is the one on which the ringing is distributed.

A phone that *properly* adheres to the BT wiring scheme has the bell
or tone caller connected between 3 & 5 so would not ring if the bell
wire was missing.

Having said that, the vast majority of phones now seem to be
straight imports of phones used all over the world and have internal
capacitors to feed the ringer so will work on 2 wires even without a
master socket.

Just needed to clarify that point.

Keith