Latest message you have seen: Re: Tivo returning to uk

free Pipex upgrade - was Re: NTL free speed upgrade, not seen it mentioned

  • Subject: free Pipex upgrade - was Re: NTL free speed upgrade, not seen it mentioned
  • From: "David Amphlett" <dave_yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:28:20 -0000

I just received an email from Pipex saying they're going to upgrade=20
my 1Mb service to a 2Mb service "at no extra cost" as part of
"a=20
network upgrade program PIPEX is undertaking which will run during=20
the spring and summer this year"

It then goes on to say that for a one off fee of =A315 I can have it=20
done sooner - but it doesn't say how soon.

Guess we can expect all the ISP's to start rolling these upgrades out=20
over the next few months to remain competitive.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@a...> wrote:
>=20
> The information I have from my man on the inside is it's a way for=20
NTL to
> clamp down on the number of cloned cablemodems that are out=20
there ... To get
> the quicker data rates they update the firmware on your cablemodem=20
(at the
> same time also disabling your ability to telnet in to your=20
cablemodem to
> manually change settings) and this new firmware does something=20
different
> like reporting in to NTLs servers every so often telling them where=20
it is on
> their networks (or something like that - he did tell me but I've=20
forgotten)
> - if it appears on their networks somewhere it shouldn't be then=20
it'll be
> disabled.
>=20
> Apparently when a cablemodem is installed you *SHOULD* be left a=20
small
> "credit card" which has your cablemodems MAC address on it
however=20
it
> appears from a customer survey that significantly less than half the
> customers are actually left this card ... What seems to happen is=20
that there
> is a thriving market in these cards between NTL's installers who=20
trade them
> with NTL installers in other regions who then update old=20
cablemodems with
> the MAC address of a "new" cablemodem and it'll work at
whatever=20
level of
> service the original cablemodem was/is/becomes set to - as long as=20
it's on a
> different segment of NTLs network to the "legit"
cablemodem.=20