Re: Smelly UPS

On 24/06/05, Martyn Wendon <mailing.lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> After the recent hot weather I noticed this morning that one of my
UPS's
> (APC SmartUPS 1000) has started to smell of rotten eggs and was hot to
the
> touch (couldn't touch it for more than 5 seconds).  I've switched it
off and
> swapped it out with a temporary replacement while I suss out what's
wrong
> with it.

Rotten eggs = Sulphur Dioxide = Bad news!

You did well to unplug it.

When I had one that did the same, it had started to melt the rubber
feet, plastic fittings, and floor tiles it was stood on. We had to
evacuate the office for a few hours, and it stank the entire building
out for a day or more. APC weren't interested in what seemed to me a
fairly fundamental safety issue, merely offering a "trade-up"
program
discount.

--
phil