Smelly UPS

After the recent hot weather I noticed this morning that one of my UPS's
(APC SmartUPS 1000) has started to smell of rotten eggs and was hot to the
touch (couldn't touch it for more than 5 seconds).  I've switched it off
and
swapped it out with a temporary replacement while I suss out what's wrong
with it.

Load wise it only ever runs at about 25% and is connected to three small
sized servers.  It's been fine for years other than replacement batteries
every 2 years or so.

Is it likely to be fubar? I've not opened it up yet as it's still pretty
warm (have put it outside to cool down).  Could it be just the batteries?
They're only about a year old and in past experience I've not had anything
like this before to indicate the batteries are knackered.  Usually I just
replace them at the first signs of a self-test failure.

Thanks for any guidance!

Martyn