Latest message you have seen: RE: {Disarmed} RE: Re: Philips Living Colors LED lights - automation?

Re: Burglar Alarms controllable via PC/web browser??

  • Subject: Re: Burglar Alarms controllable via PC/web browser??
  • From: "Juan Amador" <juane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:23:58 -0000

On Ademco Galaxy, you have some safety options:
- first you have two level password, one to get into the software
(which of course is worthless if the software itself is
stolen/pirated) and one to get onto the site.  The site password can
be up to 16 case sensitive characters - so it is not trivial to break.
- you can restrict which IP address it replies to - which I will admit
is again, worthless if you plan to be able to control from several PCs
and thus need to disable this.
- and you can control when remote access can be allowed. (say only
when alarm is off) which may provide additional security.

Admitedly is not great (for instance, it would be a lot more useful if
the IP replied is restricted by sub-net - and have option for several
of these) but all in all, the prospective thief may find easier just
to ram the premises with a lorry.