Public Service Announcement - MCE2005 PC for £580

  • Subject: Public Service Announcement - MCE2005 PC for £580
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:01:34 -0000

Just in case anyone's interested, I have found what I think is a pretty
goo=
d deal for a reasonably specced MCE2005 PC in, of all places, PC World...

=20

It is the Advent 3040,  PC World product number 037531

=20

Link here:...   http://tinyurl.com/4v4oa

=20

Note that the web price says =A3799, - that is the price including the
17" =
TFT monitor, but if you ask them, they will sell you just the base unit
for=
=A3580

=20

You can get the specifications from the link above, but I have bought one
o=
f these for my parents (or rather they bought it on my guidance!)

=20

Aesthetically it is quite a nice looking machine, I don't think you can
rea=
lly tell from the website photos, but the entire front panel is fully
mirro=
red glass with no visible interruptions. All the sockets etc are behind a
d=
oor, and the optical drive also has the same matching mirrored finish (so
m=
uch so, that it's difficult to see the fact that there is one there!)
Obser=
ve that there is a single black line of trim down the middle, and the
power=
switch and the optical drive eject buttons are subtly integrated into that=
.

=20

Granted the spec isn't absolutely top-notch (only 1 tuner, analogue only
tu=
ner rather than freeview etc.) but it was more than sufficient as a
kitchen=
PC for the parents....

=20

Physically it's a wee bit larger than the Maplin Book PC that it replaced
-=
which was actually the main reason for choosing this model in PC World rat=
her than any other, - we didn't specifically set out to get a MCE PC, that
=
was just a bonus, this just happened to be the smallest desktop base unit
t=
hat was available in that particular branch, and space was extremely tight
=
in the intended position in their kitchen.

=20

Hard to believe that PC World don't actually do *any* kind of
small-form-fa=
ctor machines (but then again, knowing PCW I guess I shouldn't be
surprised=
...)

=20

HTH someone...